The main objective of DIEGO project is to improve the capacities of n. 6 Universities in Latin America (n.2 in Guatemala, n.1 in Uruguay and n.3 in Argentina) on renewable energy systems (RES), energy efficiency and sustainability, training new experts prepared for the labour market.
The project aims at answering to the growing request of energy in Latin America and the necessity to cover it with clean and sustainable sources. All countries involved in DIEGO have a great potential in term of renewable energy generation. The National Governments are promoting national laws in supporting of RES adoption, mainly of small systems, which can contribute to the reduction of poverty, guaranteeing the electricity also in the remote areas. The application of new incentives and regulations for the spreading of RES has to be supported by the presence of experts and technicians in the field of renewable technologies.
What Europe could be
EU Countries have matured a long experience on renewable energy systems, implementing a policy to foster the use of low emission technologies, which has operated changes in different fields such as:
- in education, accelerating the creation of courses on RES (undergraduate, MSc and/or II level Master);
- in the labour market, increasing investments in new technologies and creating new job opportunities;
- in new technologies, developing innovative systems and providing energy solutions for different contexts (remote and/or urban areas).
Europe could be an example for the Latin American region, which is investing in RES, is interested in consolidating close collaboration with EU and is asking for technological solutions to meet local needs. In addition, the EU is supporting an innovative Higher Education System, based on the Bologna process achievements and objectives that aims at strengthening international collaborations, also through instruments such as credit recognition, double degrees, title recognition, that makes HEI's dialogue easier than in the past. The mutual recognition of education systems and their continuous comparison could facilitate and promote the mobility of students, improving the quality of education and creating a modern global university system.
What we are doing
Latin American Higher Education Institutes are looking forward to standardizing education programs oriented to society demands and international accreditation criteria. Universities are working to innovate the educational/training offers including Information Communication Technology - ICT. Innovative courses on RES developed on the basis of International survey on Labour Market needs, Local International Offices trained on European Higher Education System, Didactic materials elaborated thanks the collaboration of all partners, respecting International Quality Standard, Courses provided in presence and in streaming, including distance lessons, Didactic laboratories and Video Conference rooms installed to complete training, Professors involved in mobility and students enrolled in courses delivered in Europe and Latin America are only part of the ingredients of DIEGO project.
The close collaboration between European and Latin American Universities intends to:
- support the diffusion of renewables, mainly small and medium plants, organizing local Info-days;
- increase the local competences on RES designing and delivering innovative university modules on renewable, energy efficiency and sustainability;
- increase the employability of people (also young) improving the local capacities and creating a local labour force on renewable;
- reduce the discrimination supporting the participation of in the programme of indigenous, women and disabled;
- facilitate the training of poor people and the education accessibility elaborating e-learning modules;
- support innovation in training, updating education and training materials, also including innovative technologies for energy, promoting the use of innovative tools such as webinars, video-conference devices and e-learning;
- strengthen the International collaboration with Europe transferring the EU experience within the Bologna Process, Quality Assurance system and Internationalization designing innovative education products.
Meet our team
Maria Sticchi Damiani
Laura De Simone